Your homework to complete before we meet again on Thursday:
- Read over this website very carefully as it constitutes the syllabus for this course. Note that the Syllabus page includes a number of subpages, covering such topics as: how to contact me; the course learning objectives; the texts you need to buy; attendance, participation, and other policies; and how you will be graded. There is also a calendar of reading and assignments; and pages describing the major and minor assignments this semester.
- Add this site to your bookmarks. Make certain that you can find your way back here, because you’ll be spending a lot of time visiting these pages over the course of this semester.
- Join the class Aula site: simply go to https://app.aula.education/, select “Join a class” and use this class key when registering: 8h6agl
- Reply to this survey form, which both asks some basic information I’ll need in order to manage communications with you and also asks some questions that will help me get to know you a little bit better.
Once you’ve completed those tasks, you should to sign up for a domain and server space, which you will be using extensively this semester:
- Sign up for a domain of your own. (But first, see this post first for a note about choosing a domain name.)
- Create a subdomain and install WordPress on it. (Here’s a post walking you through that process.)
- Come back to this post once you have signed up for your domain and leave a comment. Enter your name and email, and the address for the subdomain for this class in the “website” line. In the body of the comment, ask one question about the syllabus. If you want to get an email update each time a post is published on this site, which I recommend, you can also check the box labeled “Notify me of new posts by email.”
- Complete your first sketch assignment by creating a square avatar image for your site. Write a new post and publish the avatar in that post. (If you can’t manage to get your post published before class, don’t panic. Just do your best and we can iron out any problems next week.)